Monday, February 1, 2010

Numbers are Confusing

So, in class today, we talked about influences on the writers of the U. S. Constitution. One influence was the Magna Carta. When I told my students that the Magna Carta was written in 1215, I got the following responses:

7th grade student: Mr. H, I didn't realize there was a year 1215.
Mr. H: What? How do you think we got to the year 2010?
7th grade student: I don't know.

While discussing this in another class, I got this response:

7th grade student: Mr. H, when do the years end?
Mr. H: What?
7th grade student: You know, when will we run out of years?
Mr. H: When the earth stops spinning.
Another 7th grade student: What is the highest number?
Mr. H: There is no highest number. You can always add one to any number.
Another 7th grade student: What about 100 trillion?
Mr. H: 100 trillion and one. You can always add one.
Another 7th grade student: What about
Mr. H: YOU CAN ALWAYS ADD ONE!


We also talked about the United States having a bicameral legislature. I asked the students what the prefix bi- means...I got this response:

7th grade class (almost in unison): bisexual!

I've decided that the 7th grade mind is something that can barely be defined...

No comments:

Post a Comment